I have just begun my journey to a better self, AKA I am trying to lose some weight and get into healthier habits before the dreaded year 25, a time at which I hear it becomes much more difficult to do so. With the guidance of a nutritionist and my own creative, teacher ways, I have devised three awesome shake recipes that are delicious, filling AND good for you.
For these recipes, the only things you really need are protein powder (go to your closest health food store or nutrition-based shop. Employees should be able to tell you which protein will best serve your needs and is in your price range) and a blender of some sort (I love my Ninja, but I hear the NutriBullet is a good affordable option!).
The Chocolate Energy Shake: I love this one for mornings where I really don’t want to get out of bed. You will need…
– 1 cup of coffee of your choice (NOT one cup of instant coffee; a cup of liquid coffee that you have made! Believe me, you do not want to make this mistake)
– 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder
– 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon (I go a little overboard here because I adore cinnamon!)
– 1 tablespoon of coconut oil (to make it creamy)
– 1 tablespoon of hemp hearts (benefits include reducing the risk of heart disease, aiding digestion, improving skin and just being super nutritious!)
– 6-8 ice cubes, depending on how big you want your shake to be
Blend it up, throw in a mason jar and drink! Tastes just like a mocha from Starbucks, but is much more filling and energizing!
The Pumpkin Pie Shake: This one is my favourite by far… I totally buy into the pumpkin spice hype and I am not ashamed to say it! You will need…
– 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (cashew milk or coconut milk also work)
– 1 tablespoon of raw almond butter
– 1 tablespoon pumpkin (I use canned pumpkin puree, but if you want to blend up your own pumpkin, all the power to you!)
– 1 tablespoon of hemp hearts
– 1/2 a frozen banana
– 1 scoop of protein powder of your choice (I like vanilla in this one)
– a dash of cinnamon or pumpkin spice (or both, if you’re like me!)
Blend it up until smooth! Super yummy!
The Ginger Berry Shake: adapted from Martha Stewart’s recipe for a gingery berry and oat smoothie. I like this one better! You’ll need…
– 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk or almond milk alternative
– 1/2 cup of frozen berries (I like mixed)
– 6-8 ice cubes
– 1 scoop of protein powder (I like chocolate)
– 1 tablespoon of hemp hearts
– a dash of ginger (grated fresh or powder work!)
Mix ‘er up until you like the consistency and enjoy. I like this one for a mid morning snack more than a breakfast because it has a bit of tang with the ginger.
I love all of these shakes because they are easy meal replacements that you can make in advance. I usually make my fiancé and I one for the morning the night before so we have a no-hassle breakfast ready to go – it lets us have an extra few minutes of sleep!
Let me know what your favourite shakes or smoothies are in the comments below – I love trying new ones!